“Building a Legacy through Missions Education” — Est. January 1909
Director: Peggy J. Jones
(843) 855-0787 or (843) 248-9358
email: [email protected]
CHURCHES ARE INVITED . . .
Join Waccamaw Woman’s Missionary Union (WMU) in fulfilling its purpose: to inspire, challenge, and educate boys and girls, men and women.
A new church year; a new WMU Emphasis:
2018-2020 WMU: UNSHAKABLE PURSUIT
based upon Acts 17:16-28 CEV, with the watchword from 1 Corinthians 15:58 CEV.
to know God more, to show His love unconditionally, and to make disciples who make disciples as we provide opportunities to explore this new emphasis.
Baptist Nursing Fellowship
BNF® provides a way for nurses and other health-care professionals to use their gifts to serve others through a variety of ministry opportunities. Waccamaw BNF is three years of age and welcomes new members. Express your interest by email: [email protected].
A Word from Peggy Jones,
WBA WMU Director
WMU News May 2020
Greetings to all of you, and I pray that you are doing well. Perhaps one of the most difficult adjustments during this terrible coronavirus pandemic of 2019-2020 is to “be still.” As a people and society, we are always “on the go.” Quite often during my being still at home in compliance with government regulations, my thoughts drifted to the 2019-2020 focus scripture for national BNF, “…Be still and know that I am God….” Like so many others who have been “still” at home, I had the great opportunity to do some spring cleaning. It seems I did more than a spring clean – – actually I found “stuff” that spread over a decade, not just three seasons! Sifting through stacks of papers, emptying boxes of unused supplies, and reviewing programs from various events, I became even more aware of just how great is our God. Certainly, the whole world has been forced to endure changes from normal daily activities; there have been and will continue to be hardships and losses as a result of this pandemic–social, familial, political, religious, and economic. It is in these times, however, that the words from Psalm 46:10 ring loudly in a still, quiet room: “…Be still and know that I am God….”
- Updates from WMU: BLUME IS POSTPONED UNTIL 2021 (from the WMU website)
Thank you for your interest in Blume and for your shared commitment of investing in girls and teens to the glory of God. Today the Executive Board of WMU met and voted to postpone Blume scheduled in July 2020 until summer of 2021. We are saddened to postpone this event; however, based on the uncertainties of the ongoing global pandemic crisis, this is a necessity. The health, safety, and welfare of those entrusted to our care is of the highest priority.
- SUMMER CAMPS. Registration is OPEN,Online or Mail. for more information go to https://www.scwmu.org/
- ORDER MATERIALS ONLINE. Go to https://www.scwmu.org/sop UPCOMING SEASON OF PRAYER EVENTS
Can you imagine a year has passed since South Carolina WMU held its missions celebration and annual meeting with the theme Outstretched Hands reaching toward Christ and stretching out to your community at Ebenezer Baptist Church, Florence, 29501, March 29-30, 2019! The 2020 South Carolina WMU Missions Celebration is the first at which our South Carolina WMU President, Cindy Burns, would have presided. Unfortunately, this annual meeting was cancelled. Future SC WMU Missions Encounter & Annual Meetings are: 2021 | March 12-13 | First Baptist Church, Simpsonville; and 2022 | March 25-26 | First Baptist Church, Goose Creek.
We thank Cindy for her dedication and offer congratulations upon serving her first year; we wish her well as she, along with officers and SC WMU staff, forge ahead in uncharted waters, knowing that we can lean upon God, who guides us safely through the darkest times and greatest troubles.
Likewise, the Waccamaw WMU 2020 Spring Meeting would have been in session as I write these words April 6; however, given circumstances, the meeting was cancelled. We appreciate WMU of Conway First Baptist and anticipate how God will lead in the days ahead.
Getting back to “quiet time” I must share these remembrances, having reviewed the stacks of papers and programs, news articles, etc.. Do you remember . . .
- Debby Akerman was elected in Orlando, Florida as national WMU President, summer 2010; Debbie began in September 2020 serving her first year as President of National BNF. Praise God for faithfulness.
- WMU of Waccamaw held its first “Celebration of The Season of Prayer and Janie Chapman Offering for State Missions” on Saturday, September 11, 2010, hosted by WMU of North Conway Baptist Church. Especially for Girls in Action, Children in Action, Royal Ambassadors, and all children grades one through six, the event emphasized the theme Opportunity—Respond! and gave children a hands-on experience in missions education. Great leadership by Mickey & Donald Hyman. Even a decade later, this celebration, Walk-a-thon for Janie, continues each September! Praise God.
- The 2010 We’re Here for You event focused on residents in retirement/assisted living homes. Is it a coincidence or simply God’s plan that the recipients of this year’s missions project were residents at Conway Manor? The 2020 Children’s Missions Day led by Yvonne Snider WMU Director, Pastor Joe Turner, and Greenwood Baptist on February 15 demonstrated God’s love to many individuals!
- Acteens/Youth participated at The Travelers Chapel in the beautification/roadside Prayer Project with support and guidance of Rev. Rick Astle, our Director of Missions. What a meaningful experience in 2010. Shall we institute this project afresh in 2020-2021?
- Churches under leadership of Rev. Rick Astle, Waccamaw Baptist Association Director of Missions, came alongside WMU and WBA to acquire our new office building and helped in cleaning, painting, moving, financial contributions, providing furniture, etc.. Saturday, October 9, 2010, was set aside for Open House to tour the office and to fellowship with our missionaries and one another. What a blessing!
- All Baptist women were invited to be In Step with the Spirit at Spring Branch on November 1, 2010 for Baptist Women’s World Day of Prayer; going strong in 2019.
- Leaders of Acteens/Youth were encouraged to give input on an association-sponsored trip to 2011 Blume July 13-16 2011 at Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando, Florida. Unfortunately, the 2020 Blume event has been postponed until 2021.
- “Down by the River” continued annually as women gathered for a time of worship and fellowship using each WMU emphasis book. Shall we again gather by the river?
All of the above, and so much more sandwiched between! Can you imagine the effect of “being still and knowing” even in the midst of great turmoil and struggle? We serve an awesome God and trust Him to lead us as He daily gives us GRACE.
As Waccamaw WMU concludes celebrating its 110th year of missions along the Waccamaw, we express a simple but heartfelt THANK YOU. Praise God for His Blessings upon us all. Waccamaw WMU appreciates each of you as we remain UNSHAKABLE in our pursuit to know God more; to show His love unconditionally, and to make disciples who make disciples. May we continue the purpose for which Waccamaw WMU was established in January 1909: to inspire, challenge, and educate boys and girls, young people and women, thus stimulating a missionary spirit through prayer, study, and an increased knowledge of the Bible.” May we remain committed to “Building a Legacy through Missions Education.”
God bless. Peggy Jones, WBA WMU Director
A CHALLENGE TO ONE & ALL:
engage a student (or non-student) Coastal Carolina University Campus or elsewhere.
ask God to guide you to step into the world around you;
pray for Him to lead you to cultivate relationships;
seek ways to provide opportunities to demonstrate the love of Christ.
Wait and See what magnificent things will be accomplished by Him through you!
We know churches within Waccamaw Association are actively on mission for God. Please share what you are doing and how God has been working through you and your groups! Send pictures and summary to [email protected].